Monday, November 7, 2011

Against all odds

After being inspired by the movie 50/50 over the weekend, I was moved today by the 20th anniversary of Earvin "Magic" Johnson holding a press conference to announce he was HIVpositive. More importantly, I celebrate that Magic today is alive, beating all odds that he would, like so many other talented individuals, succomb to the ugly AIDS disease.


I remember vividly the day of Magic's announcement. I had driven by myself from Los Angeles to Baja Mexico as part of my corporate communications job to cover the Baja 1000 race and Toyota's Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart. Checking into my hotel room, I turned on the TV, and there was Magic, 'live', facing death, courageously.

I was a die-hard Laker fan, who appreciated Magic's no-look passes, and also his flirtatious passes at then KCBS-TV news anchor Connie Chung.


Fast forward to today. Talk-radio jocks field calls from fans and interview Magic-era NBA stars about what the 20th anniversary of Magic's HIV positive press conference means to them.  Most recognize that Magic put a face on the AIDS epidemic. As one reporter said on the day of Magic's press conference, "now EVERYONE knows someone who has the HIV virus." Magic himself said that he believes God had a reason for him to contract the HIV virus, and not only beat the deadly disease, but bring something positive to the fight against AIDS.


When I reflect about Magic Johnson today, I think not only about one of the most talented basketball players ever to play the game, but one of the most incredible human beings to grace the planet. He was/is a tenacious fighter who also possesses the talent to make those around him not only feel special, but be the best they can be.


Borrowing from Bob Dylan,  I express the following best wishes to Earvin "Magic" Johnson on this special day:


May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
May you stay forever young.


May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
May you stay forever young.


May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
May you stay forever young

1 comment:

  1. I remember where I was when I watched that same telecast of Magic. I was sitting at my desk on a huge trading floor in midtown Manhattan. I was still a huge Laker fan, and a huge Magic fan. I was surrounded by Knick fans who were making jokes about Magic playing "too close to the rim." I was devastated at the time, but I like you, Mike, now think only of the great Magic Johnson and his HIV doesn't really come into play except for what a great role model he has been over the last 2 decades since he contracted HIV. No one is perfect, but Magic certainly took a bad situation and dealt with it with grace and courage.

    ReplyDelete